A letter from KEVIN BIDDY

Hello my name is Kevin Biddy.  I am a Master Trooper with the Louisiana State Police in Troop A.  I have been with the LSP for over 17 years. 

One afternoon in 2007, I started passing a lot of blood and rushed to the hospital.  A tumor in my intestine had grown to where a blood vessel burst that caused the tremendous amount of blood loss.  I received eight pints of blood in the first few days of my hospital stay.  I went into surgery to have the tumor removed and ended up having five taken out along with some of my intestine.  The lab work came back and I was diagnosed with G.I.S.T. (gastrointestinal stromal tumors)  This type of cancer is fortunately treated with a chemo type pill.  I was on it for over a year and was cancer free.

My wife and I moved to Baton Rouge in June of 2016 and lost just about everything in the flood.  We were in our home for only two months. I have a blood condition called polycythemia vera,  in which I have my blood checked every four weeks because it can become too thick.  Due to the tragedy of losing our home and working so much more, I wasn’t following my normal health regime and suffered a TIA.  I was in the hospital for two days to make sure I had no permanent damage.  We moved back into our home on New Year’s Eve and celebrated 2018 by getting settled into our home once again.

I continued with the blood and other tests necessary to keep everything in check.  Around April 2018 I had been having bouts with stomach issues, vomiting and diarrhea.  It would come and go.  I went to my doctor and tests showed I had gallstones.  We set up a date for surgery and I was looking forward to feeling better after I healed.  The doctor that did the surgery was the same doctor that removed the G.I.S.T. back in 2007.  While he was about to remove my gallbladder he saw two spots on my liver.  Luckily he saw and removed them to be sent off for testing.  Results revealed they were carcinoid tumors.  With this type of cancer comes carcinoid syndrome which causes extreme abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea.  I have to get a shot every four weeks to keep these at bay.  Detection of the tumors are usually difficult.  I have a CAT scan every six months, along with the bloodwork I do every four weeks, to keep a close watch for any changes which may show a progression of the cancer.  At the moment my prognosis depends on the test results.  It is a day-by-day, week-by-week, process of the unknown.

I was raised in Livonia, LA, but now reside in Baton Rouge with my wife of 14 years, Nicole.  I have two stepsons that I love very much and am proud to be their dad.  Our oldest, Rhett, is 25 and is in the Air Force with Security Forces.   He will be marrying his fiancé, Kayla, in June.  Our youngest, Zane, just turned 18 and is about to graduate high school.

Thank you,

Kevin Biddy



Register a Cooking Team
Become a Corporate Sponsor

Provide In-Kind Donations
Send us an email letting us know anything you can provide that would support the event. From your company services to door prizes to people. Email me or